Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Doubts/No Doubt

Kids are really good thespians. They know what to say and what to do to get their parents to take pause and wonder if they really are (scared/hungry/tired/hurt/etc.). This talent gets really good at night, just after they are put to bed.

Last night it was Benny and (of course) Charlie. They were both "scared." They sat on the top step calling my name, making it sound more like a song than calling out in fear. I've been able to manipulate my hearing to know if there's cause for concern, but every once in a while I second guess myself. Last night there was no doubt. They weren't scared of anything, they just didn't want to go to bed.

I do feel bad for them. Because of the time change they wake up before they're ready, then are put to bed before they are ready. But please don't feel bad that their mom isn't listening to their needs. Last week Benny had a legitimate fear in his voice. He came down and we talked it out (the fears, concerns on his mind--things that are common with both children and adults), then he went to bed feeling better.

All I had to say last night was that if they didn't get into their beds we weren't going to put out the leprechaun trap that they've been working on. That got them jumping up and scrambling for their beds.

See? No doubt.

No comments: