Thursday, February 25, 2010

Am I doing my kids a disservice?

This is on my mind today.

I have a hard time believing that I can purchase the tools necessary for my kids to be successful in life. Not every kid is going to be the best at everything he or she attempts, and not everyone develops at the same rate. I think the key phrase from the article is that people are seeking professionals for routine problems of childhood.

Will my kids not do as well as they possibly could because I have no interest in getting them professional help in things that will come to them eventually? Are there really that many more students out there who need help outside of their homes?

And the bigger issue is, what happens to the children out there who actually need the help but can't because there aren't enough therapists out there to service everyone?


(There's a reason why this post is labeled "aimless." Not really going anywhere, is it?)

No comments: