Monday, February 22, 2010

Mine Eyes Have Seen the Terrible Twos

I was under the impression that the dreaded terrible twos didn't exist. Louie hit his "punk" stage about four going on five, and Benny was three, going on four. I guess with each kid it gets younger and younger because Charlie is a full-blown punk these days.

I know that there are going to be naysayers out there, but it's true--Charlie has a side to him other than being a big ol' ham. He hits his siblings and runs away laughing. After you tell him something he puts his fists on his hips and yells NO! with all of his might. He uses a pencil as a weapon and when you ask him to give it to you he runs away with the pencil almost going in his eye!

What is going on here? Where is my sweet, sweet Charlie Bear? He's still in there, I know because he gives us glimpses of him every once in awhile. But this new persona has taken over and it's wearing me out! What bothers me the most is that it affects everyone else so much. When Benny has his temper tantrums or whatever, it's usually something that is (somewhat) contained to himself, or at the most between him and me or Kevin. Charlie seems to want to involve as many people as possible.

I am hoping, hoping, hoping that this soon will pass. I get irritated with his outright indignation toward me. I can't get over the fact that he thinks it's ok to throw a toy at his sister's head or kick his brother in the stomach, running away, smiling. I know my baby boy will return. I just know it.

But now I know that the Terrible Twos are alive and well.

No comments: