Monday, March 23, 2009

It was bound to happen

This picture was taken last August. It's not real. As much as it looks like a black eye, it really is just an errant hand stamp put into place when rubbing one's eye...just seconds after getting stamped.

This is real. I've never used a butterfly band-aid before. And if I never have to use another I won't be complaining.

I don't think this picture does it justice. It was really a lot deeper and wider than it shows, obviously. Please forgive me for not taking a shot pre-bandaging. When the incident occurred, I was in the middle of registering at the hospital for Numero (or "numera") Quatro when Ben come running past, trips and goes headlong into the corner of the wall. Yikes! That's going to leave a mark. And it did. In fact, it was such a deep and wide mark that I thought I was going to toss my cookies.

Amazingly enough, Ben didn't cry after the initial 10 minutes and bleeding was a minimum. I couldn't get ahold of Kevin, which happens to be the case when I'm not calling just to chat! After talking to my parents, consulting some websites and friends who have been in similar situations, I decided not to take him to the hospital. Although extremely gross, he wasn't bleeding profusely, his head wasn't swollen beyond belief, and he wasn't crying/complaining of pain. Oh, and he hadn't fallen asleep, which is a fear ingrained in my head when it comes to head injuries.

I handed Ben a piece of candy, slapped that butterfly bandage on there (I took the first off, which Benny loved, and did another that I felt was holding the wound together better), and we were getting ready to go to the park to enjoy this beautiful day!

(Knocking on wood) I'm kind of surprised that it took almost four years for something like this to happen. That kid is a walking disaster zone. Athletic, yes. Energetic, yes. But, boy is he clumsy!

Yep, I'm not winning any mother-of-the-year awards here.

No comments: