Monday, March 9, 2009

In denial

For a while now, Ben has believed that he is left handed. I'm not sure where this came from, but he received two left-hander's gloves for his birthday because he was wearing a right-hander's glove on the right hand. His new gloves have not done much for his baseball game.

Benny throws terribly with his left hand, and doesn't catch anything with a glove on his right hand. I had him take off his glove and throw with his right and although not perfect, it definitely wasn't Ricky Vaughn-esque like his left-handed throws tend to be. My only guess is that the glove feels more comfortable on his right hand, so that's where he likes it, regardless of what's it's doing to his abilities.

When I was a youngster, I remember preferring not to use a glove at all. The softball or hardball didn't hurt my hands too badly. What hurt (and what ultimately got me to start wearing a glove) was when the ball popped out of my hands and into my eye-socket where it gave me a first class shiner. I guess we all have our own ways of learning.

No comments: