Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Life Lessons

Today is the 114th birthday of Walter Breuning of Montana, the world's oldest man. Every morning he gets up and does calisthenics and afterward puts on a suit. I think this says two things: you have got to keep your body moving to stay healthy, and you need to place importance in your appearance. Not that you need to dress to the nines every day, or even that what you're wearing makes you a better person, but I believe that when you take care of yourself, your appearance included, you believe each day is important enough to look your best.

Here is a quote from him:
"Be good to everybody, be kind to everybody, and help other people,” Breuning said. “The more you do for other people, the better you are going to help yourself. Every day is a good day and make it that way."
He says that his only regret is that he didn't enlist for World War I and by the time WWII came around he was too old. But probably what stuck with me the most is when he said that what has helped him survive the most is his ability to accept change. This is something that I am working on, for myself. As much as I like the changes of seasons, other changes I don't do so well with. I'm going to take Mr. Bruening's comment to heart.

No comments: