Sunday, August 30, 2009

Fierce competition

It took three games, but Louie has come out of his shell on the soccer field. A little too much for my tastes. I'm not sure if this is one of the times specifically (all pictures in this post are courtesy of Kevin), but if you look at Lou, his comments are being directed at the little girl on the other team.

He was yelling, "Nice shot! Ha-ha! Real nice shot!" and I honestly thought he was cheering on the other team. Then I realized that Uncle Nate and Tia Katie were laughing in that they thought something differently. He was taunting the other team. That little girl kicked the ball out of bounds and Lou thought it was perfectly ok to make fun of her for that. Where on earth did he pick that up?!

Not more than a couple of minutes later I heard him tell his teammate that their kick out of bounds was "terrible." I gasped and the parents who were in their lawn chairs next to me snapped their heads in my direction. What happened to my sweet little boy? I do not remember him ever saying anything like that in baseball. If he did I wish I would have known right then and there. The whistle blew for the end of the quarter and I went marching over to the side of the field to have a chat with Mr. Lou. Thanks to Kevin you have evidence of my nipping it in the bud.

Louie was on the field with Daysia and Jackson. Louie and Daysia made a great team. Lou is a pretty good kicker and could get it pretty much from one end of the field to the other. Daysia's specialty is being able to kick the ball through a crowd of kids and was able to score almost each time. Although he didn't score himself, Louie had many assists. (Please correct my terminology if it is wrong!)

Ah, watching four and five-year-olds is always a hoot! An early visit by the Headless Horseman.

These two were so cute. Each time they scored they jumped up and down, galloping down the field, and when one would stop to give the other a high five the other would still be jumping. Then the second would stop jumping to give a high five while the first would start jumping again. I'm sure they'll get the hang of celebrating goals by the end of the season!

Edited: I should probably say that I didn't yell at Louie, by any means. I just wanted to talk to him right away, while it was fresh in his mind. I'm a big believer that good sportsmanship starts young and that if he is going to play sports he's going to know how to be a team player! Sorry, if you that caused you to feel bad for the little guy!

No comments: