Monday, August 17, 2009

The Baptism of the Cousin

Sunday was Gracie's baptism and it was at the same church where her Mommy and Daddy were married. The kids and I were at a terrible angle for the actual ceremony, so I apologize for the lack of action shots.

Aren't they the cutest family? Aunt Mary was telling us the story of how back when my dad was a baby parents weren't even involved in the baptismal process. It happened the Saturday after the baby was born, and the godparents came to pick up the baby to take to mass. The mother was still recovering so the parents stayed at home. Godparents had much more of a role in the ceremony back then! Today, the parents hold the baby throughout the entire mass and the godparents stand off to the side. I wonder why that changed. I guess they have a pretty big role guiding the kid through life they want to take it easy on them the first day!

Gracie is wearing a christening dress that all her aunts, mom, and cousins wore for their baptisms!

Gretchen is Gracie's godmother.

And Kevin is her godfather. I don't know about you, but I think she's pretty lucky to have such a great godfather :) I want to take this opportunity to apologize to Kev. I made him wear a coat on one of the hottest days of the summer! As soon as he sees Joe he just gives me the look. Oh well. If he wasn't wearing a coat he and Joe would look like twins--both with light blue shirts and gold ties. I knew what I was doing.

No comments: