Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Another Double Header

The boys had a game the same night we had tickets to the Reds' 75th Anniversary celebration of the First Night Game. They had all sorts of events planned for the night, including selling sacks of peanuts for 10-cents and having a "live" mascot race (normally the mascot race is on the jumbotron, a digital recreation of it). They also turned off all the other boards in the stadium that are normally lit with everything from what batter is currently up, to how fast the pitcher threw that last pitch, to the current temperature.

The one thing that I noticed was that I spend entirely too much time looking at that information. Is it really necessary for me to know how fast a pitcher is? I did enjoy the comeback of the pipe organ being played between innings!

This is a shot I took of the game that features both boys. Can you pick them out?

Meredith went home with Grandma and Grandpa R so that she could sleep and we could enjoy the game. Here Charlie is cheering on his favorite player--Jonny Gomes--wearing his hairstyle.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I heard that they were making the scoreboard more like we would have seen in 1935. It is weird not seeing pictures of the players or reading some unusual fact about them. Or even having the name highlighted of the person who will be up to bat first in the next inning. I guess we are being coddled and I need to pay more attention to the game!

On top of the riverboat deck they had the first light that was turned on for that game. Apparently, President Roosevelt sent a telegraph message to the stadium to give the ok to turn the lights on. Amazing, the changes that happen in 75 years.

No comments: