Monday, January 19, 2009

Update from the Doctor's Office

Charlie went in for his 18-month appointment and seems to be doing really well. He's in the 44th percentile for his weight and 45th percentile for his height. Not breaking any records, but average for now. He got two rough shots and shed some tears, but it must not have been too bad because as soon as he saw that stickers were being handed out he dried right up.

The doctor asked how many words Charlie was saying. I hesitated and she said, "Five?" Oh yeah, I quickly said and then she asked what they were. I had a hard time coming up with them. It's just so hard because its not like we don't understand him, or he, us. He's not screaming and pointing all the time, either. He's very expressive in his...communicating. I told the doctor the sound that he makes and she kept referring to it as his "growl." I wouldn't have thought it was a growl, but I have no idea what else to call it.

She said that it is very common for 18-month-old boys to not be saying much, but by his 2-year appointment he'll need to be up to 100 words. Uh-oh. I have a feeling we're going to be pulling a lot of all-nighters trying to accomplish that.

No comments: