Monday, November 17, 2008

The Stork

The boys and I were watching Dumbo and as I'm sure you know, the movie starts out by showing all the circus animals "giving birth" by having a stork drop off a bundle of joy into their cages. If only it were so easy!

I was interested in finding out the story behind the stork, so I looked to wikipedia for help and low and behold, they had the answer. I understand the difficulty of explaining to a child the how and why of a baby, but since the only storks I've seen have been in the zoo it makes me wonder if their are more regional stories...

Apparently, storks are "harbingers of happiness and prosperity." And that they often built nests on top of chimneys, so it could easily be visualized how babies entered the home. Kind of like Santa. Thank you wikipedia!

No comments: