Friday, April 16, 2010

Hidden Treasures of Our City

We had another wonderful outing today with Amanda, Owen and Eli. I have been wanting to explore Spring Grove Cemetery for a while now and it just worked out that today would be the day that we'd do it.


Forecasters predicted thunderstorms, but Amanda and I have been planning for outings for long enough that we now know to go ahead and do what we want and figure out what to do if the weather wants to change plans. Good thing we've gotten to this point because it was a gorgeous day!


I wasn't sure what the boys would think of running around a cemetery, but they along with Owen and Eli quickly fell in love with the immense amount of open space, trees and gravestones. They spent a lot of time trying to find names they recognized and dates that matched their birthdays.


We plan to bring paper and crayons next time to do grave rubbings because many were so old that it was difficult to make out what they said. The boys are excited about that.


I'm not so sure how "hidden" this treasure was to anyone but me, but I am so glad that we went. It definitely will be a place that this family will visit many times in the future!


1 comment:

Amanda said...

Great pictures! And, for the record, I wrote my account before I read yours. So the eerie similarities are just eerie similarities rather than plagiarism. :)