Thursday, March 27, 2008

jack handy

One of my favorite things to do is to have an opportunity to watch the boys unnoticed. Especially Charlie (or when the other two were babies). Seeing him unaware of anyone around him allows me to see a part of his personality that I am not normally privy to.

This morning I heard Charlie cry quietly, then not make a sound. About five minutes later I went to his door to see if he was awake or had fallen back asleep. He was sitting in his bed playing with a string that had come loose from the bedding's seam. He had it in his hands...and then didn't know where it went...and found it again. It's amazing to watch because you can see the wheels turning in his head, trying to figure out what to do next.

I know that this probably isn't very interesting and I probably won't remember it in a week, but sometimes I wish that I had my video camera ready to go for moments like that because I would like to remember what they were like, without it being posed. What the boys were like in the most mundane activities. I'm sure I won't remember this with Charlie because I don't really have any memories of the boys in that way.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I totally identified with this post! Sometimes those moments make me want to cry for the exact reasons you talked about. I feel like I'm really getting to know them in a new way. So thanks for putting it in to words for me!