Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Highlights of the Zoo

Our pass expired in July and I never made much of an attempt to renew it, mainly because the zoo stinks in the summer. And it's hot. Bad excuses, I suppose. After Charlie and I picked up Lou and Ben from school we headed down to Evanston. Louie asked me to call Miss Amanda to see if Owen could go, too. Luckily, they were all for it!

There are these strange monkeys that actually look more like a skunk (when sleeping) than any primate I've ever seen. Most visits to the zoo involve a 45-second look into their cage to wonder why they are monkeys while they sleep on tree branches.

Today was completely different. They were hopping around from branch to branch, and one's hand got bloodied from all the rowdiness. When I was walking away to see the gorillas, one leaped to the screen holding them in, right toward Amanda and the boys! I hurried back to see the bloodied one staring down another and he started to tinkle. That is when the thought came to us that maybe they're in heat and decided to get the boys away from that as soon as possible so we didn't have to have that discussion.

The male Silverback gorilla posed right in front of us. The boys did their best to get his attention by talking to him, but he was enjoying lounging on the rock.

Owen asked if I'd take their picture. Could barely get them to sit still and all looking at the camera. They have so much fun together!

This is after these two just finished eating Oreos. You can't tell, but they're a mess!

Owen introduced us to places the boys have not been yet. It's one of those things where you get used to doing a certain thing and don't stray from it. Louie and Benny like seeing the elephants, the giraffes, the gorillas. We'll go see the tigers and the manatees and the gibbons. We'll stop in to see if there are any babies in the Children's zoo and ride the train, but don't do much different during our trips. It's great to go with people so they can introduce us to what they like, too!

We stopped in at the Reptile House, which completely creeped me out, but was cool at the same time. Especially the too-close-for-comfort python. The Cat House was next, and even though it was neat to see them I don't know if I can handle the smell of feline pee again. I breathed through my mouth the entire time! The good thing is that the boys absolutely loved both. I just need to suck it up.

It was a great trip and I'm so glad we renewed our pass. There will be many trip in the near-future!

No comments: