Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Grab Bag 4

The boys started out the summer with barely wanting to put their heads under water. That isn't exactly true. At Grandma and Grandpa's Benny is comfortable going under, but he didn't do a whole lot more than that, and wouldn't go under at all at lessons. Louie was lucky if he got the back of his head wet, but would never put his face in.

All that changed this summer, thanks to three swim instructors, Alycia, Sammy and Brian. We are much indebted to them for helping our boys overcome their fears and develop swimming technique. When the second session was over the boys received a check off sheet saying that they are able to go on to the next level. On both, the instructor wrote that the two of them have progressed more this summer than any of the other kids in swim lessons. Louie and Benny were busting their buttons.

I now realize that what I thought was a good intention might have prohibited them from being a good swimmer sooner. I wanted them to swim without the "crutch" of goggles. I feared that they would only go under if they wore them, and what would happen if they fell into water and weren't wearing goggles? (Ah, the fears of a mother!) When they found some that we bought last year, I finally broke down and let them take the goggles to swim lessons.

I'm not sure if it would have been the same if I let them use the goggles from the beginning, but both boys gained confidence from using the goggles, even to the point where if they forgot them they still went under, though wouldn't do the strokes for as long. I feel like a bad parent for holding out on them for so long, but I guess it all worked out in the end!


One thing I learned from swim lessons is that I really need to get better at taking pool pictures! The first one is Benny jumping off the board, then Louie. I don't have any that are better than this!

Cheering them on, Alex, Meredith and Charlie

No comments: