Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Kids say the darndest things

Earlier today I got into a long explanation of why we can't open up the train boxes and take out the tons of track to add to the ridiculously messy basement when Lou in turn gives me a long explanation that really didn't have a thread to weave through the words to give it any meaning, but at the end of it he says, "Do you understand what I'm saying?" And then gives me this look.

Uh-oh.

He's repeated things I've said before, but I have a feeling that this is going to be the beginning of some serious repeating parrot syndrome. I will hear how ridiculous I sound when correcting the boys or explaining things or just the little nuances I have in speech. Goodness.

I remember babysitting this family when I was in high school. It was the first time I watched these three girls who were about 7, 5, and 3. The three-year-old rushes up to me when I get there and proceeds to tell me this story, and though I don't remember a thing about it, I do know that when she finished she exclaimed, "Isn't that a riot??" Turns out that was her mom's go-to phrase.

Needless to say, I will be very aware of what I am saying to the boys. Most of the time. So if you hear anything really intellectual fall out of Lou's mouth know that it came from me. And if he has any sort of potty mouth, know that it came from his father ;)

No comments: