Tuesday, November 10, 2009

What I didn't expect

I am one of those people who grows old before her time. I am disillusioned by all the kids who get freaked out by dirt, who know video games better than sports, and who leave behind childhood more quickly than I think is reasonable. Or good, for everyone involved. Yes, I'm crotchety ;)

But there is hope, I have found. I drive two boys home when I go to pick up Louie and these kids have access to all the latest gadgets and games out there. Do you know what they love to do, in fact, they race to get in the van to do this? Play with the Etch-a-Sketches we keep in the back. I have no idea why because, as neat as it is, I find it extremely frustrating not being able to make it do what I want.

Something else is that Louie and another of the boys are in one class and the other is in a different class. While we're waiting one or the other to get out, a group of boys run around the school yard playing something that looks a lot like imaginary football. I am not familiar with this game, but a huge group of five- and six-year-olds call to each other to toss the "ball" and then other go crashing into them. They are having a ton of fun, and I'm so impressed that they are pretending. That's so two years ago!

No comments: