Friday, September 17, 2010

Go-Go-Go-Go on an Adventure!

The last few years I've been extremely impressed with the television being produced on PBS-Kids. They've managed to create shows that are a lot of fun while educating--not secretly, just showing that learning can be fun--and (this is the best part) it's not a chore for parents to watch along.

This fall, the only new show that has come out is The Cat in the Hat Knows a lot about That. I've always been a fan of the Dr. Seuss books, their silly pictures, fun language and introduction to a new and different ideas. The show so far has been pretty good, touching a lot on science ideas and using your imagination. It's entertaining and has a catchy tune (sometimes too catchy and it's stuck in my head the rest of the day).

One thing I haven't made a decision about is the voice of The Cat. It's Martin Short. I've never been a big fan. I loved his role in The Three Amigos but other than that I find him kind of annoying. The jury's still out on him, but it's not so bad that it takes away from the show. Along those same lines, I was surprised with some of the voices, namely the fish in the bowl that accompanies the kids, Nick and Sally and The Cat. It just wasn't what I thought the voice should sound like. But, with all books that are made into TV shows or movies, good or bad, things aren't always what you expect them to be.

No comments: